Tuesday, August 21, 2012

An Honest Post To A First Week Of School


'How's first day/week of school for you?' that's the absolute cliche question that is buzzing around my head. Every where I turn and every face I meet seems to conceive the exact same question. I do not blame common courtesy or a gesture of concern- It's just that the monotony of this pattern is dreadful and I often find myself at a loss to give the querent an adequate answer that truly sums up my feelings and views of this entirely new world of NUS. Verily, it has indeed been a stressful yet fleeting first week of school.

The environment is totally different from back in the JC days. If I were to make an analogy of a seminar class to a vivid description we are all familiar with it will be: Shark Tank. Think enthusiastic people hungry for knowledge and excited hands raised to satisfy insatiable curiosity. It truly is a culture shock to be exposed to a group of people so eager to chow down on what I term a 'feast of knowledge'. Is this not how sharks behave in their natural state of environment? How lucid is the competition and the strife to emulate, if not, better another. A rat race I heard from seniors; A rat race indeed!

But it will be pessimistic of me to merely point out the specks on a fresh piece of paper - mind you that I am indeed one the same as a faithful pessimist- to not look toward the finer and brighter side of things. Uni life is hard for certain, but it is without a doubt of benefit and value. Now who is not going to agree with that? We gain independence and we learn to manage our own time and interests. It is at this crucial time that we discover most about our attitudes toward our future prospects and see how these prospects will gradually influence our attitudes toward our futures.

Bear in mind: We never turn out to be what we thought we would be.

Please do not take the statement as one of a wet blanket but more of a doorway to even more possibilities. In a nutshell, be receptive to your callings in the next 3-4 years of your life, for isn't all people only going to live these years of youth and discovery once? Be open minded to change and be open to new suggestions and pathways that God will present to you. Do not be myopic and narrow! Embrace new things and be bold to experimentation. That shall be my best advice to all fellow freshmen out there right now.

Do not forget, however, the true blessings around you and beget their kindness and feelings. The friends you make shall be the most important people to you in this season of change. They will support you when everyone rebels against you and they will stick by you through the toughest storms and most painful heartbreaks. Many a time people ask for the secret of life and the secret of love. But is there really a need to think it so deeply and with much complexity? If you ask me to demystify these seemingly perplexing questions it will be:

The secret of life is letting go; The secret of love is letting it show.

With this in mind go forth and spread the love to those who love you and for those who hate you. Be a blessing to others as the ultimate source of delight. To give is better than to receive. For to give someone a gift out of reciprocal is natural. But to give where others don't do the same. Now that's awesome! Give yourself a pat on the back.

Right here, right now. I'm typing this post in the computer lab of NUS. What a funny environment to type this post with people all around me typing away at their own things. But to all out there who want to ask me how the first week of school was in NUS...

I really had a hard time initially. I faced much inertia but I survived with the support of people. In short I met good friends and good people =) Is there anything more I can add on to that? The depth and breadth of its meaning, eternal... Is all that needs to be said... Period.


No comments:

Post a Comment